Thursday, April 01, 2010

Out of Habit

I've been thinking lately. Ultimately , who we are is determined by our habits. So, what is a habit? It's a simple word we all know, but this definition adds a little depth. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/habit)

hab·it (hbt)
n.
1. a. A recurrent, often unconscious pattern of behavior that is acquired through frequent repetition.
b. An established disposition of the mind or character.
2. Customary manner or practice: a person of ascetic habits.
3. An addiction, especially to a narcotic drug.
4. Physical constitution.
5. Characteristic appearance, form, or manner of growth, especially of a plant or crystal.
6.
a. A distinctive dress or costume, especially of a religious order.
b. A riding habit.

I'm not planning on putting on a habit and start dressing like a nun or taking up horse riding however, habits do include the clothes we wear and the way we roll or ride. If we are not careful with our choices, pretty soon, undesirable habits may be taking us for a ride.
It's interesting, never once in my life, did I say, I want to be a big fat lady. However every day my choices and habits have shaped my body, my mind and spirit.

Benjamin Franklin is my hero when it comes to developing character he listed the following habits and character virtues that he was striving to develop.
  1. TEMPERANCE. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
  2. SILENCE. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
  3. ORDER. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
  4. RESOLUTION. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
  5. FRUGALITY. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
  6. INDUSTRY. Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
  7. SINCERITY. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
  8. JUSTICE. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
  9. MODERATION. Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
  10. CLEANLINESS. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.
  11. TRANQUILLITY. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
  12. CHASTITY. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dulness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
  13. HUMILITY. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.
What an inspired man! I'm going strive to be more like my friend Ben and have the courage to evaluate my flaws and strive to develop into the person I want to be. Making a conscious choice to stop allowing bad habits to choose for me.

10 comments:

  1. What a very insightful post! No wonder people have always thought so much of good old Ben!

    Ya, our habits can make us slaves to them! I know I fall in this category too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely said Sarah. It's HARD to truly look aat ourselves and our flaws. And it's hard to change habits, but it IS possible! Thanks for posting all of Benjamin Franklins sayings, they were really great for me to read. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How have I not read this yet?

    Brilliant post by my personal friend, SaRaH! Love it.

    It is easy to look at ourselves and see our flaws.

    It is really hard to change. Often even when we see exactly what we are doing and know we should change, Ex: Gossip, Saving, Better food choice, time wasting, etc. It is still SO hard to break the habit!

    I like how Ben said not to drink to elevation, wonder if he realized most of the world would drink caffeine for the absolute benefit of "elevation" :-) Thanks for the insight. Now if only I can try harder to break my bad habits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear you have a new blog post from yesterday, yet my blogger keeps popping up this one. Am I going crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not crazy. I posted it then decided to add something. It was only up for a minute. Sorry for the confusion. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a really great post Sarah! It's been a long time since I've read any blogs, and I've just been having so much fun catching up on all the blogs I've missed. yours is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:48 PM

    Gotta add my atta girl for sharing such worthwhile information with all of us. Great material for introspection and making some better choices. I love the fact that the big changes come over time with small continuous efforts. Love realizing we Can do so much good and live happier lives each day. Loved reading all these comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:49 PM

    Oops! Forgot to add may name...Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe you have remarked some very intriguing details , thankyou for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish to thanks for the particular initiative that you’ve produced in producing this website submit. I hope similar good article content from you in the foreseeable future on top of that. The truth is ones own very creative publishing ability comes with motivated me to begin my own blog. Actually the blogging for cash is normally distributing a wings rapidly. The article may be a ok example of the item.

    ReplyDelete