Thursday, January 06, 2011

Reach for the Stars



"Every fool knows he cannot reach the stars
but it never keeps a wise man from trying
-Ronnie Woods
As reality is a constant reminder, there will always be more things to do then time to do it. So how do we manage to squeeze in the things that are of the greatest importance?

This time of year brings the custom of making resolutions. Goals to do and be better then we have in the past. There is a definite power in making goals and an even greater power in achieving them.

So, what determined the success or failure of a New Years resolution or goal?
I recently read a blog post that illustrated some of the weak points and strengths in goal setting. Joanna Taylor's blog link is here if you would like to read the full article.

She basically stated that goals must be concrete, specific, and attainable.
Instead of saying, "I'd like to... " use "I will..." Using positive and direct language is empowering.
If the goal is lose weight (which is to general) how do you know when you have succeeded? Having target number like 20 lbs or 2 sized or whatever provides more motivation.

My cousin Dixie believes in this concept. She is a personal trainer who believes that motivation to exercise is better maintained by having a goal such as preparing for a marathon or a triathlon. She helps people achieve their goals through RaceDay Training.
While I don't have any desire compete in a race I would love to have that kind of physical stamina.

Inspired by Blog, I made several Goals for myself. The biggest goal is to lose 100 lbs in 2011. Everyone who I told this has seemed concerned regarding this huge number. However, I truly believe this will be attainable. When you actually break it down, it's less than 2 lbs a week. I have also created subgoals to help me not get discouraged by this number.

The last thing that Joanna suggested was having a regular time set aside to examine how you are doing on your goals. I think this is a great idea. I'm going to post mine on my fridge & above my computer too. Hope the new year is treating you well!
love ya,
Sarah

Goals for 2011

Spiritual

Study/Read Scriptures or Conference Talks

30 minutes or more Daily

Pray Daily with Matthew

Attend the Temple Weekly

Journal Weekly

Keep the Sabbath day Holy: (Avoiding shopping and TV)


Physical

Lose 100 Lbs

Exercise 30 minutes or more 3 days a week.

Family

Visit Grandma Ellsworth at least once a month

Go on a Date with Matthew every other week

Read at least one book daily with my boys

Take at least one family name through the Temple


Education

Complete 2 College Classes

Read or watch the News 3 times a week.

Read at least one Book a Month

Home

Paint and organize the Office

Paint the Boy's room

Paint the Family Room

Paint the Doors

12 comments:

  1. Excellent goals, Sarah, and very inspiring. As for losing 100 pounds this year, I know you can do it! It's one of my goals, too. =) We'll be much healthier by the end of this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your goals are fantastic! And I say, good for you girl! You CAN do the weightloss, it's been proven over and over by people. IF there is a will, there is a way. I'd like to lose 100 lbs. too. Now, to find that "will". haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great goals, Sarah! Wow. I'd love to follow and see how you're doing. There's something about committing to a blog...isn't it? Everybody knows!! You can do it! And you're inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much ladies! So far, my fav. resolution is going to the temple. I went this afternoon and it was totally a slice of heaven

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great goals!! They paint a perfect life it seems like! Love that you actually have time to do these things! They are things you can do when you have a few hours to yourself during the week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, such a blessing. The amazing thing is even with more time, it's so hard to get these things in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can achieved all that in no time, just focus on the your goals... =)

    John
    Anchorage Moving

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post. Great, specific goals! I know I love to run away from making my goals that specific, that way I never know for sure that I failed! Ahhhh.. Love that you are setting a great example for us, and sharing your inspiration and helping others know how to be successful too. Love all the comments from the girls & John's comment too. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously, thanks for all the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you for making such extensive and concise goals for this year (something I don't think I've EVER done myself). I believe that's the first HUGE step in the direction you want to go. I'm excited to hear about your successes throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your goals. I know that you will reach your goals.


    Seattle Real Estate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:37 AM

    Great blog really enjoyed reading it. Have bookmarked you and will check back regular. Please feel free to take a look at my blog...

    Cheap Flights to Phnom Penh
    Flights to Phnom Penh
    Phom Penh Flights

    ReplyDelete