Sunday, November 09, 2008

Tis a Gift to be Simple

One culture that I respect more then many is that of the Amish. At 8 years old, I had the opportunity to visit a settlement near the NY & Pennsylvania border.
As we entered village, I was in utter shock, as the people there patterned a life that I thought ceased in the early 1900's. While these people avoided the use of many of our modern technologies, they also maintained focus on love, hard work, industry and above all, gratitude for all the blessings that God has given us.
Here are the words to one of my favorite hymns. It a the very similar theme (one that I hope to someday master).
'Tis the gift to be simple,
'tis the gift to be free,
'tis the gift to come down
where we ought to be,
and when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gained
to bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed,
to turn, turn, will be our delight
till by turning, turning we come round right.
Words: Shaker song, eighteenth century

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:48 PM

    Amazing Post!! I loved it! I was truly awed and impressed by this culture also. Love the Gift to be simple poem too. I can't believe you posted this special message despite your wretched tonsils! Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice reminder this time of year! I love this time of year, but have to put in a lot of effort not to feel like I have to keep up with whatever I feel I have to keep up WITH. Simplicity....one of my favorite words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how people can live such simple lives. One day last week i had no cable, no internet, no phone and no car, and I thought I might kill myself! love you sister. Sorry I missed your call earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the very same song I had my 4-6 grade choir just sing last week at our choir concert. Beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete