Monday, December 01, 2008

Christmas Magic

Do you believe in magic?
For children it comes naturally. Christmas trees with twinkling lights, Santa Claus and Snow.
Flying Reindeer,Talking Elves Gifts wrapped tight with bows. Sadly, as childhood departs and the tricks of the season are revealed, it is easy to lose sight of the true magic .

Not long ago, our family lived in the icy cold and rainy Pacific Northwest. In fact, sunshine is so rare there that people generally drop everything and flock to the parks to enjoy the beautiful and rare bright sunny day. For a good chunk of the population, emotion survival is also dependent on beverage referred to by some as liquid sunshine, otherwise known as coffee.

On an exceptionally miserable, snowy and emotionally draining morning, I drove myself to the local Star Bucks for the tallest and strongest cup of dark & rich Hot Coco that could be purchased.

Upon reaching the window to pay, the young lady informed me that my beverage was paid for by the previous customer.
Suddenly, sunshine filled my heart. Small tears ran down my cheeks while I had held my chin as high as could, a complete stranger had taken the time to see my pain and chose to make an offering.

That small act of kindness helped me to feel love at a time when I felt completely alone and forgotten. While I may never have the opportunity to meet, or know that person, I will never forget the magic of the gift that was given.
It is my prayer, that we will each open our eyes and hearts and take the time to make Magic happen in the lives of those around us.
A
s we look to our Savor, he lifts our burdens and provide us with with peace that is not of this world.
In these troubling times, I especially love the promises that are recorded in Matthew.
"Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me;
For I am meek and lowly in heart:
and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
It leave my testimony that the Savor keeps his promises.
When we make room in our lives for the Christ Child, the
gifts and blessings we receive far outweigh the sacrifices we are required to make.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:04 PM

    What a sweet message, thank you for sharing and reminding us of the true meaning of Christmas. I hope to bless other this year and feel that sweet spirit of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay so are the snowflake warmers for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that story.....Random acts of kindness are the best! I'm so sorry that Washington was not a happy time in your life......(I should of been a better visiting teacher!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S.......I LOVE Starbucks hot chocolate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Sarah, thanks so mcuh for that sweet post. I agree, it is certainly something we all need to be reminded of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great reminder, thanks for that. I love this time of year, to remember to give service and show acts of kindness. Why do we tend to forget so often. Wish it was like this every month.

    How are you?? Haven't talked to you for awhile. Hope things are going good. ♥ya

    ReplyDelete