Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Medical Mysery

On Sunday night, after spending most of the day at the hospital w/ Dave & Jake, my throat felt a little scratchy.
Overnight, it escalated to a really bad sore throat/fever. I was so wiped out that my sweetheart Matty let me sleep all day and all night.
You'd think after practically 24 hour of rest I'd be all better... but no...I was feeling even worse. When I woke on Tuesday morning, the throat was still tormenting me & now the glans in my neck were ridiculously swollen. I looked like I'd gained at least pound in my neck overnight. It was time for the Dr. The diagnosis: Step Throat.
Okay, so I know this isn't really a medical mystery.
However, I thought the was some kind of age limit for this. The last time I was affected by strep was in my teens. Not even my OCD hand washing skills protected me this time.

Here's a info from Mayo Clinic Online regarding strep. If you can, AVOID getting strep!!! It is NO FUN!!!

Definition

Strep throat is a bacterial throat infection that can make your throat feel sore and scratchy. Most sore throats are caused by viruses and usually go away on their own. Only a small portion of sore throats are the result of strep throat.

It's important to identify strep throat for a number of reasons. If untreated, strep throat can sometimes cause complications such as kidney inflammation and rheumatic fever. Rheumatic fever can lead to painful and inflamed joints, a rash and even damage to heart valves.

Strep throat is most common between the ages of 5 and 15, but it affects people of all ages. If you or your child has signs or symptoms of strep throat, see your doctor for prompt treatment.

Causes

The cause of strep throat is bacteria known as Streptococcus pyogenes, or group A streptococcus.

Streptococcal bacteria are highly contagious. They can spread through airborne droplets when someone with the infection coughs or sneezes. You can also pick up the bacteria from a doorknob or other surface and transfer them to your nose or mouth. Kitchen utensils and bathroom objects are other common modes of infection transmission.


7 comments:

  1. Ironic that where you likely got strep was in a place that's supposed to make people better, not try to kill them.

    I told you not to sit on that floor...

    :|

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol note to self... avoid TOUCHING ANYTHING at a hospital!

    Let the other guy touch the button in the elevator. What he doesn't know won't hurt you.

    Thanks for the Comedy! I totally appreciate it as there is a 85% chance that Matty has strep too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:19 AM

    Feel better!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too sad and yet kind of funny. My purse has come down with strep also. Darn that floor! JK

    Good thing you got it checked out most people would have suffered so much longer and it would've escalated even worse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Honestly, I thought the same thing! Some of us have to learn the hard way. Me and your beautiful purse!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make that 100% strep for Matthew. Dr. Stacy is calling in antibiotics for the other 2 boys.
    I guess see decided that she had seen enough of the Streptococcal bacteria this week.

    She is awesome like that!

    ReplyDelete